Years 7, 8 and 9 Program Leader | Mr Damien Coman
Terrace Mathematicians achieved wonderful results in the the Metropolitan North competition.
Program Leader Years 7-9
1) It was very pleasing to see the wonderful results from our Mathematicians continue in the Metropolitan North competition which recently saw 300 motivated students use their skills, knowledge and problem solving abilities. Terrace had very impressive results across the year levels:
Junior Years 7 and 8 - 3rd and 5th
Intermediate Years 9 and 10 - 1st and 3rd
Senior Years 11 and 12- 1st and 3rd
2) Exam timetables are available. Students need to have a plan for revision specific to the final two weeks of school and of course this weekend and next is very important.
3) Dr Ian Hunter is a writing specialist from the University of Auckland who has worked with both staff and students throughout the year. A large number of Year 9s have worked directly with Dr Hunter on how to create interest, precision and variety in their writing skills. The feedback he has provided has been incredibly beneficial.
4) Our Formation program has concentrated on the following topics recently: Year 7-Team work/special individuals/making a difference, Year 8-Responsible online Terracians, Anti-bullying, Smart study strategies, Year 9- Growth Mindsets/Persistence and resilience/productive habits
5) I recently attended the National Well Being conference with two other House Deans that was a joint production from leading Psychologist Dr Michael Carr-Gregg, The Institute of Positive Education and the University of Melbourne Graduate School of Education. There were some very telling statistics with youth mental health and giving adolescents the knowledge that is required in this age during their well-being programs (Formation). Terrace is certainly well prepared when most of the topics covered were the ones that are currently in our Years 7-9 Formation Programs. However, it is an area of constant change and innovation where many good ideas were raised and taken on board for our students.