Director of Music | Mr Brad Esbensen
I hope the term is finishing off well for our musicians and I wish you all a restful holiday break before we launch into Term 3.
With exams out of the way, we will be spending the next week focusing on final preparations for the USA Music Tour. There have been some last-minute changes to the Holiday Rehearsal Schedule, due to a change in our Staff Week program, that will affect several of our holiday workshops and tour preparation activities. By the time of publication of this article, it is expected that all information will have been emailed out to parents and updated Event Memos will be available via the Terrace App. Please read through all the information carefully to ensure you are well acquainted with the latest schedule.
Of critical importance regarding the tour preparations is attendance for the Marching Band session on Monday. As indicated at the information evening and on the Event Memo, we are required to submit a new audition video to Disney as soon as possible. It is vital that we have all students involved arriving on time and well-prepared for this session on Monday. It will be a day of intense preparation and hard work but will reap great benefits.
Last week students and parents were sent information regarding audition requirements for the Music For All Summer Symposium to determine placements in the Concert Band and Orchestra. Students in the Marching Band and Percussion tracks will audition live at their first session on camp and students participating in the Choral track will not be required to audition. We will be having our music staff and some guest tutors in to assist with audition preparations. Again, filming needs to take place during this week and students are reminded to have all their correct gear to ensure this process runs smoothly.
Finally, I have posted two documents to the Terrace App outlining student involvement in the Music For All Summer Symposium (MFA) along with the groups they will be performing with post-MFA to clear up any confusion with boys performing in multiple ensembles.
I am looking forward to an exciting and awesome tour and know that our students are going to receive some excellent guidance and return to Terrace in Term 3 with a greater understanding and passion for their music studies.
Please check the Terrace App and Parent Lounge regularly as this is where information regarding various events (see the list below) will now be published. As events are approved and posted to the Parent Lounge, you will be sent an email advising the name of the event, including the Event Memo, to check and you will be required to give a response regarding attendance. Event Memos will also be available through the Terrace App in Culture | Music.
Holiday Workshops (full schedule also available in the Terrace App):
- USA Marching Band, Monday 19 June, 9am – 3pm, Tennyson Playing Fields
- USA Music For All Summer Symposium Audition Workshops, Tuesday 20 June, 9am – 3pm, Music Dept.
- USA Choir (Vocal only participants), Tuesday 20 June, 9am – 12pm, Chapel of the Holy Family
- Red Big Band Workshop, Tuesday 20 June, 9am – 10.30am, MU2
- Black Big Band Workshop, Tuesday 20 June, 10.30am – 12pm, MU2
- 1st Percussion Ensemble Workshop, Tuesday 20 June, 12pm – 3pm, Room 3.20/1
- USA Music For All Summer Symposium Filmed Auditions, Wednesday 21 June, 9am – 12pm, Room 320/1
- USA Concert Band Rehearsal, Wednesday 21 June, 12pm – 3pm, Room 3.20/1
- Percussion Ensemble 2 Workshop, Thursday 22 June, 9am – 3pm, Room 3.20/1
- Percussion Ensemble 3 Workshop, Thursday 22 June, 12.30pm – 3pm, Room 3.20/1
- USA Jazz Combo Workshop, Thursday 22 June, 12pm – 3pm, MU2
- USA Choir and Strings Rehearsal, Friday 23 June, 9am – 12pm, Chapel of the Holy Family
- USA Tour, 26 June – 8 July