The Weekly Wrap
Welcome back to all families for 2018. The College Athlete Development program has already gained momentum leading into Term 1 with sessions being run from 9 January.
Term 1 is the busiest term of the year for the sporting calendar with many in season and preseason sports utilising the facility. Please refer to the Athlete Development Centre timetable below to ensure the correct session times are attended. Once again, we will be offering Pilates and Yoga programs to all interested students. Both of these programs have proven highly successful throughout the Sport program in 2017 with a major reduction in sport related injury. In conjunction with the strength and conditioning program, these programs are specifically designed to further enhance our athletes. Each session will run from 3.15-4.15pm in College Hall.
A reminder to follow the @TerraceGym twitter page for all relevant information and updates throughout the year.
On the back of a successful and highly productive Term 4 Skill Development Program, the Terrace Cricket Program engaged in several cricketing activities over the December/January holidays. To best prepare for the 2018 GPS Cricket season, students attended trainings, clinics, tours and trial matches in high numbers, developing the skills learnt during Term 4 and applying them to the game sense focus of the holiday program. Some highlights include:
- Over 450 participants attended December/January Skill Development Clinics at Victoria Park
- 67 students travelled interstate (Adelaide and Perth) on domestic Cricket Tours
- 56 trial matches played during the Terrace Cricket Trial Week
- 96 students involved in the traditional Christian Brothers Cricket Week (CBCW) Tournament
The skills learnt, and amount of match practice experienced leaves the program poised for an exciting 2018 season. With 579 students registered to play Cricket in Term 1, Terrace is the largest cricketing program in the GPS competition. Round 1 of GPS Cricket begins this weekend 27January with most teams playing Brisbane Boys' College (BBC). We wish all cricketers the best of luck in season 2018 and look forward to another exciting summer of Terrace Cricket!
Last year was another highly successful year for the Terrace Tennis team. Our boys went into the last match of the season against BBC undefeated. Unfortunately, we went down to a more experienced BBC side but there were a number of positives for GPS Tennis and for our Terrace Tennis program. Overall our 1st IV finished second for the 2017 season while all teams performed admirably throughout the season.
Over the holiday break a large number of Terrace players have continued to perform. Bryce Robinson (Year 11) and Steven Stoddart (Year 12) contested in the 16s nationals at the December showdown. Xavier Lim (Year 11), Charles Van Balen (Year 11), Dominic Anderson (Year 9) and Tom Brannigan (Year 10) have all performed extremely well in AMT events throughout the summer of tennis. Yosua Lumbanradja (Year 9), Max Van Balen (Year 6), Andre Ferro (Year 10) and Todd McElwaine (Year 7) have contested in a number of different AR junior events.
Our commercial coaching program through Lifetime Tennis kicks off from Weeks 2 – 5 of Term 1. During this period, we have our Terrace Age and Open Championships to be contested on 18 and 25 February. Weeks 6 – 9 is our preseason training program which will see the start of our Terrace team training program. Over the Easter break there are clinics and tours available for our boys. This will be our final hit out before the start of the GPS season beginning Week 1 Term 2.
All Tennis information is now on the Terrace App.
I look forward to seeing you all at the courts and wish you all a terrific Tennis season.
Mr Graeme Brimblecombe | Head Coach Tennis
Many Terrace swimmers competed in the Queensland Championships in December.
- Will Bradley (Year 10)
- Lachlan Bell (Year 11)
- George Williamson (Year 9)
- Nick Langford (Year 10)
Personal Bests and fantastic results were recorded by:
- Sam Voltz - 6th 200 Butterfly | 5th 100 Butterfly, (Year 10)
- Xavier Moloney – 6th 200 Butterfly (Year 9)
- Terrance Suttie – 6th 200 Butterfly (Year 9)
- Terence Siao - 4th 200 Butterfly | 9th 400 IM. (Year 10)
Some exceptional swimmers were:
- Felix Wilson - Gold in the 100 and 200 Breaststroke (Year 8)
- Tom Neill - Gold in the 100, 200, 400, 1,500 Freestyle | Gold 200 & 400IM | Gold 200 Backstroke | Silver 100 Backstroke. (Year 11)
Tom was also named 15 years Queensland Champion.
Over the holiday period six College Swimming records were broken.
- Jack Moore set a new record for the under 10yrs 50m Butterfly - time 33.16. (Year 6)
The other five records were broken by Tom Neill.
- 50m Freestyle - 24.63
- 100m Freestyle - 52.73 (bettered his previous mark of 53.88)
- 200m Freestyle - 1.53.76 50
- 50m Backstroke - 28.00
- 50m Butterfly - 27.46.
Tom now holds all the Under 15 records except for the 50m Breaststroke.
In other swimming news, 2017 Senior, Reilly Townsend captained the Australian Schoolboys Water Polo team in a game against New Zealand.
Congratulations to all these Terrace Swimmers on their outstanding achievements.
Terrace students are eligible to trial for selection into District and Met Nth Regional representative teams in many sports. Our primary students nominate via City Dist. and our secondary students via Nth Independent or in some cases Met Nth direct depending on the sport. Boys will only be nominated if they are of a high standard and meet qualifying times in respective sports.
City District Term 1 Sports are:
- Swimming trial date 6 February - open to all Years 5 and 6 students. Nominations close Monday 29 January.
- Basketball trial date 14 February - open to all boys turning 12. Nominations close Monday 5 February.
- AFL trial date 23 February - open to all boys turning 12. Nominations close Monday 12 February.
- Hockey trial date 23 February - open to all boys turning 12. Nominations close Monday 12 February.
- Rugby League trial date 2 March - open to all boys turning 11 or 12. Nominations close Monday 19 February.
- Football trial date 9 March - open to all boys turning 12. Nominations close Monday 26 February.
Nth Independent Term 1 Sports are:
- Volleyball trial date 6 February - open to all boys turning 15 and 18. Nominations close Friday 2 February.
- Basketball trial date 13 March - open to all boys turning 15 and 18. Nominations close Friday 19 March.
- U15 Football trial date TBC - Nominations close TBC.
- U18 Football trial date TBC -Nominations close TBC.
- Touch trial date TBC - Nominations close TBC.
- Hockey trial date TBC - Nominations close TBC.
Direct nominations to Met. Nth Sports are:
- Baseball trial date 13 February - open to all boys turning 18. Nominations close Monday 5 February.
- Tennis trial date 14 February - open to all boys turning 18. Nominations close Monday 5 February.
- Swimming trial date 21 February - open to all boys turning 18. Nominations close Wednesday 14 February.
- U15 AFL trial date 6 March - open to all boys turning 15. Nominations close Friday 2 March.
- U15 and U18 Rugby League trial date 13 March – Nominations close Monday 5 March.
For Trial Notices relating to upcoming Term 1 Trials please contact:
Swimming / AFL / Rugby League / Touch / Hockey / Baseball - email@example.com
Basketball / Volleyball – firstname.lastname@example.org
Tennis – email@example.com
Football – firstname.lastname@example.org
or click on the below link https://metnorthschoolsport.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx
The weekend saw Gregory Terrace compete in the 2018 Queensland State Championships. The regatta was well represented by both clubs and schools alike, across a variety of divisions. The program saw some great rewards for the effort the rowers have put in over the break. Notable performances were:
- Under 15 Men’s Quadruple Scull – Gold Medal (Mitch McGeever, Joe Liddy, Harry Ward, Sam Lilwall, Lachlan McGeever)
- Under 17 Men’s Single Scull – Silver Medal (James Farquhar)
- Under 17 Men’s Double Scull – Gold Medal (James Farquhar and Dario Andrijich)
- Under 17 Men’s Quadruple Scull – Silver Medal (Dario Andrijich, Liam Dewar (SPLC), Ben Spicer, Jeremiah Woodward, Charles Betts)
- Under 17 Men’s Quadruple Scull – Bronze Medal (Finbar Carroll, Will Robinson, Fergus Cummins, Jack Siddle, Marat Frolov)
- Under 19 Men’s Eight – Silver Medal (Harry Watt, Harry McGrath, Max Crowe, Matt Langley, James Farquhar, Alex Sullivan, William Gillard, Nick Rex, Jerome Pham van Khanh)
This weekend is the official start of the GPS season as Brisbane Boys' College host the first regatta at Wyaralong Dam. Watch this space for all results and updates through the season, which culminates on March 10 at the GPS Head of the River.