Terrace Timor Network
During 2018 there will be major changes on the ground in Timor-Leste, particularly the community of Railaco in the Ermera District with whom we’ve been friends for nearly 20 years. The Christian Brothers have decided that their ministry of Timor-Leste will discontinue in 2019. Communidade Edmund Rice (CER), led and enacted by Br Frank Hennessy and Br Peter Coe, will withdraw from Timor-Leste at the end of 2018. However, the mission of supporting the people of Timor-Leste will continue.
Br Damien Price, as representative of the Christian Brothers Oceania Province, St Joseph’s College, Gregory Terrace and the TTN are currently exploring partnership options with Mary MacKillop International (MMI) to continue the support of the local community of Ermera District. Whilst CER leave with great sadness, we are very confident that the relationship with the people of Timor-Leste will be fostered and continue in the spirit of the Gospel. We will have the opportunity in January 2019 to gather and celebrate our wonderful relationship between the people of Timor-Leste and those Terrace and Christian Brother communities.
For TTN it will be business as usual. We will continue to support the card, coffee and vanilla programs and will also continue to raise awareness and fundraise for Timor-Leste.
Our plans for 2018 include two major events: -
• Mother’s Day Stall Friday 11 May - selling hampers with Timor products. In previous years this was a very popular opportunity for boys to buy something special for their mums. Mrs Annabelle Watt with a team of helpers will run this event.
• Timor Friendship Day at Tennyson 11 August - with help from the Rugby and Basketball Support Groups. This day aims to sell Timor Justice products, as well as raise awareness of the importance of Terrace’s involvement in Timor-Leste. The day will conclude with a gala Timor Festa Drinks at the top of the grandstand. Please join us.
TTN will continue to promote the following activities: -
• Kolega Café - Every Friday morning at the Campbell Centre canteen, run by Years 7, 8 and 9 Terrace boys and organised by Dean of Identity, Mr Charles Brauer.
• GT Year 10 Immersion - Support for Immersion boys pre and post Timor trip.
• Justice Product online store - Sale of coffee and cards managed superbly by Mrs Jo Clark.
• Timor Week at Terrace and Timor Independence Day on 20 May - Includes communication with the Timorese community and support of celebration activities.
• Two Days of Work Campaign - Run by Mrs Bernadette Higgins who will promote the TTN message to other schools.
We welcome the new families to Terrace and look forward to collaborating with the Terrace community during 2018. Thank you for your continued support, your generosity makes a real difference in the lives of our Timor family.
Mrs Amanda Wright and Mrs Rebecca Tweedy | 2018 TTN Co-Chairs