Director of Music | Mr Jan Hewerdine
Tonight is opening night for the Middle School Musical ‘Madagascar’. The sets are amazing, the acting is great and the singing is first class. For those who can’t make the show (or are just curious) check out our Madagascar Jr sizzle here.
Congratulations to the Symphonic Wind Ensemble for their performance at College Assembly this week. Next week, the String Quartet will be performing with guest soloist Jack Gardiner on Assembly.
Music Practice Hall
A reminder that Music Practice Hall is held on Mondays from 3.15-5pm. We encourage you to support this unique opportunity on a regular basis, whereby your sons can practice with guided supervision. This is run by tutors from the Queensland Conservatorium of Music and other tertiary institutions. AMEB candidates please note that these tutors are also on hand to assist with the components of the exams. I encourage those interested to avail yourselves of the service.
Term 2 is a busy time for the Co-curricular Music program. Pep Band is involved in three important home games at Tennyson. This band is comprised of members drawn from the top two big bands, the Tuba Ensemble and Percussion Ensemble Two.
The Norman Clarke Concert is our annual showcase for the premier ensembles. A new initiative this year is the addition of Year 5 Classroom Music Band and Strings. These two groups are the direct beneficiaries of Mr Clarke’s generosity and this is an exciting development. Workshops during Staff Week and a USA Tour round out the term.
Term 2 Events
- Thursday to Saturday 9-11 May, Middle School Music Production - selected performers only.
- Saturday 11 May, 12.30pm - Pep Band.
- Saturday 25 May, 12.30pm - Pep Band.
- Saturday 1 June, 12.30pm - Pep Band.
- Sunday 9 June, Norman Clarke concert, Villanova College. Sound checks from 10.45am, concert at 3pm.
- Monday 24 June, Drumline and BB2 workshop.
- Tuesday 25 June, First Percussion Ensemble BB3 band workshop.
- Wednesday 26 June, Percussion 2, Percussion 3, TJC band workshops.
- Sunday 23 June – 3 July, USA Music tour.