Director of Sport | Mr Tony McGahan
Term 3 Sport
The fast-paced season of Terrace Term 3 sport has concluded for another year. The term has delivered solid participation numbers with 453 students participating in Basketball and 712 in Rugby.
I would like to thank everyone involved in Terrace Sport this term. Thank you to the boys for their commitment to their teams, the parents for continuing to allow their sons to participate in Terrace Sport and the coaches with their caring attitude to help, guide and teach the Terrace men to gain life lessons through playing team sports.
Mr Tyron Mandrusiak has done a great job running the Rugby program with a competitive showing across the age groups, with all boys enjoying the rugby experience. The Basketball program has continued to grow off the back of the hard work of many people. It has been an excellent season from a performance perspective across each age group and the 1st V who finished with a shared premiership. Congratulations to Mitchell Wright (Captain) and his team and Mr Matt Hamilton- Smith (Head Coach) and his staff on an excellent season on and off the court. Many thanks to Mr Tom O’Malley in his first year coordinating this program and Mr Sam Mackinnon who has coordinated the program for the last five years and is now working with the Brisbane Bullets as an assistant coach.
During the holidays, Track and Field will be concluding their preseason preparation for the GPS Carnival in Week 4 of next term. I would encourage all students who have finished Term 3 sport to get involved and be a part of the Track and Field program to improve their physical components and represent the College.
Finally, I would like to acknowledge all Year 12 Basketball and Rugby boys and thank them for their efforts over the years playing their respective sports at Terrace. These young men have represented the College, some since 2011. The Terrace Community is very proud of you, and in your final year at Terrace, we want to thank you for pulling on the Red & Black for the last time.
Recent sporting news and achievements
Congratulations to the students who will compete in the following events:
- Queensland Under 16 Rugby: Harry Walters and David Vaihu.
- Under 15 Junior Gold Cup teams which include: Joe Liddy, EJ Luafalealo and Will Hancock.
- Queensland Under 14 Metro State Football Team: James Murphy
- Under 16 National Youth Championships: Luke Davies
- National Youth Championships Queensland Under 17 team: Aubrey Stockdale, Toby Snell with Dylan Kritzinger announced as Captain.
- Under 17 AFL, playing the curtain raiser for the AFL Grand Final on the MCG: Saxon Crozier
- World Junior Swimming Championships, Budapest 2019: Tom Neill
- Second - Men’s 1500m Freestyle (14.59.19)
- Second - Men’s 400m Freestyle (3.46.27)
- Third - Men’s 4x200m Freestyle Relay (1.47.58)
- Third - Men’s 800m Freestyle (7.48.65)
- Fifth - Men’s 4x100m Medley Relay (49.14)
- Sixth - Men’s 200m Freestyle (1.47.66)
- Seventh - Men’s 4x100m Freestyle Relay (49.47)
- New College Record 400m – 3.46.27
- New College Record 200m – 1.47.58
Participation in the school Sport program is outstanding and will continue to be so due to the quality of the programming that allows for all levels of participation and quality of coaching across individual sports. The flow of communication is extremely important in keeping everybody informed. It is vital to ensure sure you sign on electronically via Parent Lounge for in-season and preseason activities offered each term.
Attendance at training
I would ask that all boys commit to their attendance at training during the week and present ready for their games/lead up meets, home or away. Representing the College is something to be valued. Being a team member who can be depended on entails sacrifice and commitment, no matter the level or activity.
Please be aware that all Directors, Coordinators and Coaches have been asked to monitor training and playing uniform. We want to represent the College and ourselves, both on and off the field with the highest standards.
To remain up to date, please download the College App and select to receive notifications for your son's selected activities. You will find updates, training schedules, team lists, playing schedules, game/meet locations and further information under the individual sport.
Please note we are moving away from ongoing email communication, with the College App as the main source of communication.
Have a great Term 4 in Terrace Sport.