The Weekly Wrap
The 2019 GPS Basketball season ended in dramatic fashion in Round 9 against Ipswich Grammar School. The Terrace program yielded its best results of the season so far, winning 82% of games against IGS, including all of the ‘A’ fixtures. The program closed the season winning six out of eight days and recording its best overall winning percentage in recent history.
The day ended in a classic game of 1st V Basketball that will be forever etched in the memory of the hundreds of people who squeezed into the Ipswich Grammar Gymnasium. After trailing by as much as 12 points during the second quarter, Terrace showed incredible poise and self-belief under significant pressure to fight back and eventually take the lead for the first time in the game with minutes to spare. A vital Max Mackinnon three-point shot and a handful of free throws sealed the game for Terrace and its first premiership in GPS Basketball in 15 years. The premiership is a great reward for Head Coach Mr Matt Hamilton-Smith who has been in the role for over ten seasons and has overseen the development of this group, as well as former Basketball Director Mr Sam MacKinnon who has heralded a great change in the Basketball program at Terrace. Terrace share the 2019 Premiership with Anglican Church Grammar School and we extend our congratulations to the Churchie students and staff on a fantastic season.
The 1st V result on the weekend is representative of the growth of Terrace Basketball in the high quality of ability of the players and the switch to a winning mentality throughout the age groups. Not only did the 1st V claim the title, but the 11C, 10A, 9D and 5A teams remained undefeated throughout the season. Remarkably the 10A side recorded its fourth consecutive year as an undefeated team, extending their winning streak to 32 wins and 0 losses since Year 7.
Congratulations to all teams who represented Terrace during the season. The success of the 1st V is owned by all 453 players. The program extends its thanks to the student body for their efforts throughout the season, especially those who have been training since Term 2, as well as the parent group for their ongoing support, and the coaching staff for their on and off court mentoring of the students. Terrace Basketball eagerly awaits the 2020 season where the focus will be improving upon this season's success and continuing to build the Terrace Basketball community.
Many thanks for your support in making our last game against IGS, BBC and TSS a success.
The continued growth of our program is a direct result of the enthusiasm and professionalism of our coaches, referees, ground staff and medical staff, the positive and supportive environment created by our parents on game day, and the ongoing commitment of the Rugby Support Group.
A special thank you to our Sports Office staff, Mr Tony McGahan, Ms Cerene Hughes and age group coordinators Mr Blair Copelin, Mr Brendan McGrath and Mr Mitch Edwards who managed to juggle team lists to ensure we had enough boys to fulfil our commitments to the GPS and supplementary draw.
I take this opportunity to look back on the season and thank the many people who contributed to providing a safe and positive environment for our boys to experience the great game of rugby.
Our young men who displayed great sportsmanship and respect for their opponents are to be congratulated for their performances. Their coaches, many of whom are teachers, parents and Old Boys, are to be congratulated for giving up their time as well. The success of Terrace Rugby is due in no small part to their invaluable assistance.
Terrace Rugby is very fortunate to have such a committed group of Sports Office staff, teaching staff, parents and old boys.
Special thanks must go the following:
• Terrace Rugby Support Group, led by Mr Damian Hearne and Mr Sean Dollar. A special thanks to Mr Lee Bodimeade and Mr Anthony Kirk who are first to arrive and last to leave Tennyson on game day to set up and pull down.
• Mr Michael Fallon from the Rugby Support Group and Mrs Kirsten Carroll from the TLG, along with all the parents who assisted in the BBQ pit and the Canteen on game day.
• Mr Andrew Dowling, Mrs Lou Condon and Mr Simon Porter for their efforts with the home game scoreboard, match day program and sponsorship.
• Mrs Loretta Smith and Mrs Prue Long for their efforts with the merchandise tent.
• Dr Ben Forster, his team of parent doctors and twelve9teen physiotherapy who ensured all boys were in safe hands at our home and away from home games.
• Our Terrace Referees who quietly go about their jobs.
• Mr Alan Kennedy, Mr Craig Jesberg and Mr Matt Wrathall who prepare the fields at Tennyson each weekend and finally all the parents and friends who supported from the sidelines.
• We have several long serving parent coaches whose sons are graduating this year, who over the years have dedicated countless hours to the program. I thank you all.
Finally, I would like to acknowledge all Year 12 players and thank them for their efforts over the years playing rugby at Terrace. Some of these young men have played rugby at Terrace since 2011. The Terrace Family is very proud of you, and in your final year at Terrace, we want to thank you for pulling on the Red and Black jersey for the final time.
Please view the Round 9 Results