The Gospel and the person of Jesus Christ, who sought to make his message of compassion, justice and peace a living expression of God’s kingdom, nourishes our spirituality as a faith community. We develop and promote an authentic culture of Catholic education in the Edmund Rice tradition for the contemporary context in the following ways:
Liturgies and Masses form an important part of the College calendar and are significant in the spiritual lives and reflective practice of our students and the extended Terrace Family.
- Tuesday Morning Mass (Term Time): held in the Chapel of the Holy Family commencing at 7.50am. All members of the Terrace Community are welcome.
- Daily saying of our College Prayer.
- Whole College Masses celebrating: Senior Induction and Opening Mass, Edmund Rice Day Mass.
- Whole College Liturgies celebrating: Ash Wednesday, St Joseph’s Day, Easter, ANZAC Day, End of Term Thanksgiving.
CAMPUS MINISTRY PROGRAMS
- Eddie’s Van - Big Brekkie: Each weekday morning a team of students (Years 10-12) accompanied by adult supervisors conduct a breakfast for homeless people in and around the gardens of the inner city.
- Lenten Fair & Walk: A Lent initiative committed to supporting our Timor-Leste friends.
- Timor-Leste Kolega Group: A weekly café and term-time activities for students to lead and facilitate, supporting our Timor-Leste friends.
- House Friendships: Each House has a friendship with a local community organisation to foster a mutual relationship based upon shared education and participation.
Justice & Advocacy Students can engage in a range of social justice and advocacy programs. Each program is developed to instil in each student a belief that “one person can make a difference”. The Justice and Advocacy programs of Terrace include:
- ERA for Change student advocacy group
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education
- EREA Justice & Peace Curriculum Connections
- EREA Beyond Borders
- Vinnies Winter Appeal
- Food Bank Queensland
Spiritual Retreat Program The College’s Spiritual Retreat Program provides students with Gospel-centred formation experiences through which their spiritual growth is nurtured as they grow in Christian self-understanding.
- Year 5 Positive Friendships: Charity and positive relationships.
- Year 6 Reflecting & Transitioning: A reflective opportunity for the boys in a significant time of transition from primary to secondary school.
- Year 7 Shalom Retreat: Welcoming new students to Terrace and forming young men around the concept of “serving others".
- Year 8 Emmaus Retreat: The concept of life journey and helps identify the people who have walked beside us.
- Year 9 Micah Retreat: Challenging others to “Act justly, love tenderly and to walk humbly with God.”
- Year 11 Leadership Retreat: A leadership focused retreat that prepares Year 11 students for their Senior year as College leaders.
- Year 12 Kairos Retreat: A three-day reflective experience, focusing on self-image and life’s journey.
- Year 10 Ministry Immersions: Immersion units involve students in a social justice experience that has practical applications. Our aim is to help the students understand that the point of service is not just what changes because of one’s efforts but that it is the change in one’s self that matters.
Students in Year 10 can participate in the following Ministry Immersions:
- Alice Springs
- Cape York
- Beyond Borders: South-East Queensland
- Matthew 25: Brisbane
Peer Ministry Our Peer Ministers are recent Old Boys from Gregory Terrace who are employed at the beginning of every school year to enrich the pastoral care, retreat and service programs within the school. Our Ministry aims to inspire our students to “be the best I can be”.