The Gregory Terrace Museum and Archives serve to promote the history of the College and showcase the remarkable story and traditions of Terrace over the past 143 years. They stand testament to the dedication of the Christian Brothers, teachers and Old Boys who have passed through our gates and serve an important function in preserving and sharing historical knowledge with the Terrace Family.
The Museum proudly tells the stories of our Terrace Gentlemen, such as the sacrifice of young lives in the service of our country, the bravery and enterprise in saving lives and the pioneering work in medicine. There are stories of academic prowess, sporting achievements and distinguished professional careers. There are also stories of ordinary lives lived - each with its own purpose, each making the collective story of St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace what it is today. Alongside and as a compliment to these stories are important artefacts and items of memorabilia on display, dating back to 1875.
The College Archives, also a part of the Museum, serve to catalogue and organise documents and objects not on display in the Museum. All donated items are stored in specially designed, high quality archive storage facilities to ensure the preservation of every object.
The Terrace Museum provides a place for Old Boys and family members to visit, reminisce and/or donate their treasured items for the future generations of Terrace Gentlemen. If you have any enquiries or items you wish to donate to the Terrace Museum please contact the College Archives Manager.
The Museum, located at the top of the Treacy Centre on Gregory Terrace, is open from Monday to Friday 9am - 3pm (term time only). To arrange a visit please contact the Archives Manager.
Ms Bianca Anderson - College Archives Manager
+617 3214 5259
Museum photo gallery
Click on the images to see the full photo and description of some of the items held by the College Museum and Archives.
This book was used to record the names of the first students to attend the new Christian Brothers’ College opened on 5 July 1875 at St Stephen's Cathedral.
There were 26 boys registered on the first day. Most of the boys lived close to the CBD, as Brisbane was still a very small town. The boys came from a mixture of backgrounds; some from professional or business families, others were the sons of labourers and council workers. The College, in accordance with Edmund Rice, aimed to provide an equal education for all boys.
Believed to be the original coat belonging to Brother Treacy, worn when he arrived in Australia. The coat has been handed down through the Christian Brothers and is on permanent loan to the College Museum and Archives. The coat has been well looked after and is in remarkably good condition. Due to the warmth in Queensland the coat would have been rarely worn.
This blazer belonged to Mr Keith Noud GT, 1927-29. Keith became one of Australia’s most famous race callers. He was awarded an MBE in 1975 and the Advance Australia Award in 1986 for his contribution to sport and charity. Keith died in 2001.
1926 - Cap was awarded to Mr Les Dempsey GT, 1922-27, for Rugby League, the game of choice at Terrace during the 1920s. It was donated by Mrs Dempsey in 2001.
1927- Cap was awarded to Mr Jim Larkin GT, 1927-28, for Rugby Union. This was the first year Terrace played Rugby Union in the GPS competition.
Both caps are made of velvet with a metal tassel.
Mr Len Shea GT, 1937-38 played Rugby at Terrace for both Year 11 and 12.
When Len donated his boots to the Museum he wrote a letter to help explain what the boots were like to wear in the 1930s.
The boots, made of leather had extra long laces to be wrapped around the ankles for extra support. The missing tags were not replaced as they kept flying off and I became sick of replacing them.
This megaphone, made from cardboard and leather, was used at sporting events by students for war cries and cheering. This megaphone was owned by Mr Frank Mulholland GT, 1932-38.
This plate was unearthed during renovations to the Treacy Centre in 2010.
Made in England by J&G Meakin, the plate can be dated back to the 1890s. The pattern was specially made for use in churches and monasteries.
This medal was awarded to Mr James Mahoney GT, 1924-25 in his Senior year in 1925. It was the last Buchanan medal to be awarded at the College. The Buchanan medal was awarded to the student who did the best in Junior or Senior. The medals were donated by Mrs JJ Buchanan between 1885 and 1925, she was a generous benefactor to the Brothers and the College. The giving of a medal to the highest achieving students was re-introduced in 1996 and continues today.
Mr William Edward Sheehan GT, 1940-47 was awarded these silver salad servers in 1947 for winning the 100 yards open race.
A competitors ticket for the annual GPS Athletics competition, held at the Exhibition oval in 1942.
These books were given to students to help ‘regulate’ their behaviour. The preface of the book states:
This observation has special reference to their hours of recreation when, in moments of excitement, rudeness is apt to betray itself.
Mr Ted Stewart GT, 1932-39 used this exercise book in Year 6 in 1933. Each day there was a different exercise to complete. Note how neat and tidy his penmanship is.
This blazer belonged to Mr Neville Downes GT, 1937-41. Neville was Head Prefect,Senior president of the St Vincent De Paul, Captain 1st IV, Captain 1st XI, 1st XV, Senior Champion Cross Country, Senior Champion Tennis.
This jersey belonged to Mr Tom Hall GT, 1938-39. Tom played Rugby in the 1st XV for two years. The 1938 annual states:
Tom Hall, good rake: always on the ball; rather light for effectiveness in rucks, will be a force in next year’s team.
As a token of their gratitude for all Br Campbell did for Terrace and cricket, the 2nd XI team presented him with this silver cricket counter in 1952. 'Doc Campbell' was a well loved character in the Terrace Family.
Mr James Portley GT, 1925-30 threw this shot put in 1930 and broke the GPS record. The shot put weighed 7.25kg. James competed that day with a broken hip, still managing to throw the shot put over 14m.
Many a student remembers sitting at these wooden desks. The hole for the ink well still remains at the top of the desk. Before ink and paper were regularly used, the students at the College would use a slate. In the early 1900s a slate was cheaper than paper.
These blazer pockets and hat bands have been donated by Old Boys over the years. They are a good example of how the crests and designs have changed as the school has grown.
These medals belonged to Mr Mark Tonelli Gt, 1970-73. Mark won these medals for swimming at the 1974 Commonwealth Games held in Christchurch New Zealand.
The 'Terrace II' was rowed by the 1958 1st XIII and secured second place at the Head of the River regatta. Mr Ron O'Brien, GT, 1953-58 kindly donated the boat in 2017.
This rowing zoot suit belonged to Mr Michael Toon GT, 1992-96. Michael represented Australia in the 1st VIII squad at the Athens Olympics in 2004. The team went on to win the bronze medal.
Please enjoy the special exhibition dedicated to our Old Boy Vietnam Veterans.
This exhibition was opened at the College Museum on 1 June 2018 to coincide with the blessing and unveiling of the Honour Board dedicated to our Old Boys who fought in the Malayan Emergency, Korean and Vietnam Wars.
To view the information panels featured in the exhibition please click here