Dean of Students
The House system evolved as a means of providing longitudinal mentoring and tracking for all boys during their time at St Joseph's College. It is integral to the Pastoral Care program at the College, which enables students and House Tutors to establish a relationship of trust, support and friendship. At Terrace, we take pride in providing an atmosphere of care for all members of our community.
Students stay with the same House group, House Tutor and House Dean for the duration of their time at Terrace, ensuring a sense of belonging. A student's House Tutor is the first and central link to many College activities, events and communications. Years 5 and 7 are welcomed into the College by a Year 11 or 12 ‘Big Brother’, who they meet every morning and afternoon in their Tutor Group.
The College is divided into nine House groups. Each House is coordinated by a House Dean and has a crest, colour and motto.
The House system is supported in Year 10 when students spend the year at the Waterford Place campus. Links with the House remain while students forge new relationships in the unique Waterford Place environment. Some core classes in Years 7 and 8 are conducted in House groups. Significant College events including Inter-House competitions, camps and retreats help to strengthen our young men’s bonds to their House.
The vertical House system at Gregory Terrace helps provide an atmosphere of care by fostering:
- A quick, smooth transition into life as a Terrace student.
- Mentoring and tracking of your son.
- A strong emphasis on House and religious rituals to provide spiritual and service opportunities.
- Clear and well communicated expectations for your son.
- A program of individual care for students.
- Formation opportunities.
- Communication with families.
- Leadership opportunities within the House.
- Involvement in Inter-House activities.
- Connection between pastoral and academic offerings
Families are encouraged to build a strong relationship with House Tutors and House Deans and to be in contact should any issues arise.