Director of Music | Mr Brad Esbensen
With Term 3 ending, I would like to wish all our musicians and families a restful break. We have a few activities taking place over the holiday break with the Red Thunder Drumline performing at the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers this Saturday, a brass camp for students sitting AMEB exams and students representing Terrace at the State Honours Ensemble Program (SHEP) at the Queensland Conservatorium of Music.
Congratulations to the Terrace Rock Band and Red Thunder Drumline on their performance at the Rugby last Saturday. They will perform again at the College Assembly in Week 1 of Term 4.
The Jazz Music Institute (JMI) is opening auditions for entry into their courses for 2018. Auditions are available by appointment from September 2017 through to January 2018. To find out how to apply for JMI courses, visit their How To Apply page
For those wishing to learn more about JMI, they will be holding an Open Day on Saturday 16 September. This is a perfect opportunity to find out about the courses on offer in 2018 and to chat with staff and students at JMI. The run for the day is as follows:
11am: Meet and greet with staff and students
11.30am: Course information session
12.30pm: Jazz Workshop with JMI students
1.30pm: Open jam session and BBQ
To register your interest for this event, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for the 2018 Young Conservatorium programs have now opened. All applications must be submitted online through our website, to apply now please click here ($30 for a single applicant /$60 for a family application). The closing date for the main 2018 intake is Saturday 9 September 2017, with applicable auditions being held between 3 - 21 October 2017.
Talkin’ Jazz will be holding a performance workshop, for interested students, at the Brisbane Jazz Club during the September school holidays. This is always an exciting opportunity for those who have a strong grasp of their instrument and are interested in learning more about jazz. More information can be found by clicking here.
Please check the Terrace App and Parent Lounge regularly as this is where information regarding various events (see the list below) will now be published. As events are approved and posted to the Parent Lounge, you will be sent an email advising the name of the event, including the Event Memo, to check and you will be required to give a response regarding attendance. Event Memos will also be available through the Terrace App in Culture | Music.
- Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers, (Red Thunder Drumline) Saturday 16 September 2017
- AMEB Brass Camp (invited students), Monday 18 and 25 September, Music Department, Terrace
Term 4 Events
- Year 7 Orientation Evening (Black Concert Band, Callan Black String Ensemble, invited vocal soloists), Thursday 5 October, 5.15 – 5.45pm, Main Campus
- Terrace Family Night (Waterford String Quartet, Terrace Jazz Combo), Friday 6 October, 6.30 – 8.30pm, College Hall and Treacy Court.
- Chamber Music Concert, Thursday 12 October, 6 – 7.30pm, Edmund Rice Theatre, Waterford Place
- Jazz Night (TJO, TJC, Red and Black Big Bands), Friday 20 October
- Spring Concert (Years 5 and 6 Bands and Strings, Callan Red and Black String Ensembles, Red and Black Concert Bands, Terrace Youth Choir), Wednesday 25 October, 6 – 7.30pm, Main Campus
- Celebration of Excellence Rehearsal (SWE, Waterford Strings and Soloists, Terrace Choir), Monday 30 October – Friday 3 November), 7am – 8.15am, Music Dept.
- Celebration of Excellence, Monday 6 November, all day, Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre (BCEC)