Director of Music | Mr Brad Esbensen
We had a number musical events taking place throughout the holiday period. For the fourth year running, the Red Thunder Drumline led the street parade through the streets of Toowoomba for their annual Carnival of Flowers event on the first Saturday of the break. Congratulations on a great performance. A number of workshop sessions were also held over the break including Trumpet Camp, for students preparing for their upcoming AMEB exams.
Several of our students represented Terrace at two significant musical events. Firstly, congratulations to Simon Hatton (Year 12) and Charlie Newman (Year 11) who participated in the James Morrison Academy at the Gold Coast. They were two of 19 students from across Queensland, NSW and New Zealand, who were chosen to participate in this workshop and concert with James Morrison and his big band. Secondly, the following students participated in the State Honours Ensemble Program (SHEP) held at the Qld Conservatorium: William Barnett (Year 9), Genos Cheong (Year 12), Peter Ferro (Year 9), Xander Fitzgerald (Year 12), Jack Gardiner (Year 10), Hayden Greer (Year 8), Rory Jennings (Year 9), Ethan Ling (Year 7), Finlay Rodbert (Year 12), Richard Scalia (Year 12), and Hugh Sinclair (Year 11). These young men spent an intensive few days preparing repertoire as part of ensembles formed especially for the event, culminating in a number of concerts at the Conservatorium.
We have a short, but very busy term ahead of us. A full list of events is included at the end of this article and will be updated as required. Could I ask that you respond promptly to Tour notifications emailed via Parent Lounge as we use the information to generate rolls based on the information for accountability purposes. Please keep in mind that it is expected that all members of an ensemble participate in all performances but we understand that from time to time there may be circumstances that prevent attendance. If you are declining a tour, could you also please inform the ensemble director and cc firstname.lastname@example.org Finally, as these notices only go out to parents, could you please discuss the event with your son to ensure that he has the details entered into his calendar. You and he will be able to view the Event Memo via the Terrace App.
The Terrace Jazz Combo performed on College Assembly this week and next week we will feature the Red Brass Ensemble directed by Mr Adrian Head.
Please see below for the list of Term 4 events. Please remember to accept tour notifications as they are sent through Parent Loungeand check Event Memos(available through the Terrace App).
Term 4 Events
- Year 7 Orientation Evening (Black Concert Band, Callan Black String Ensemble, invited vocal soloists), Thursday 5 October, 5.15 – 5.45pm, Main Campus
- Chamber Music Concert, Thursday 12 October, 6 – 7.30pm, Edmund Rice Theatre, Waterford Place
- Jazz Night (TJO, TJC, Red and Black Big Bands), Boggo Road Gaol, Friday 20 October
- Spring Concert (Year 5 and 6 Bands and Strings, Callan Red and Black String Ensembles, Red and Black Concert Bands, Terrace Youth Choir), Wednesday 25 October, 6 – 7.30pm, Main Campus
- Celebration of Excellence Rehearsal Week (SWE, Waterford Strings and Soloists, Terrace Choir), Monday 30 October – Friday 3 November), 7 – 8.15am, Music Dept.
- Celebration of Excellence, Monday 6 November, all day, Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre (BCEC)
Date and Time: Friday 20 October | 6.30pm - 10pm
Where: Boggo Road Gaol | Boggo Road Dutton Park
Cost: Adults $40 (+ booking fees), Children $15 (+ booking fees), Children Under 8 & Performers Free
Drink on arrival, cash bar, BYO picnic or pre-order Pear Tree catering via ticket link
RSVP: Please RSVP by Tuesday 17 October
For further details or enquiries, please contact
Imogen Brown | ImogenBrown@Terrace.qld.edu.au | 3214 5226